Thursday 1 August 2013

A British Butterfly

I came across these fellas while working in one of my clients gardens. I'm not very good at identifying caterpillers, and can hardly remember names of the butterflies so thought I should get to know some of our natives.


These are the caterpillars of the Small Tortoiseshell, which can be seen across Britain. Managed to get a pic of one in my garden today, feeding on my Origanum 'Thumbles Variety'.

Am lucky enough to live next to an area that lays untouched, it being part of our towns flood defences. There is a mass of stinging nettle, a favourite of many of our butterflies. I have many flowers that attract butterflies so there are always a number of different species fluttering by. I do wish the cats wouldn't chase them!

Heres a link to a site that will help to identify our British 'flutterbys'

http://www.britishbutterflies.co.uk/index.asp

Will try to get more pics, but its not easy!

...Heres a few more....

Meadow Brown
Large White
A moth, the Silver Y
Anyone know what this is??



2 comments:

  1. Just back from Scotland with pics of Ringlet butterfly and another gorgeous little orange one but I have no idea what that one is.
    Did you know the crows up in the bonnie highlands are not black? I was really surprised, they're much prettier!
    Managed to get pics of Nessie as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. send me the butterfly pics and I will post them. What colour are the crows, tartan??! Nessie aye? Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete