Thursday 8 January 2015

2015!!

Happy New Year people, hope you all had a lovely festive time.

I was walking my dog in Simmons Park, Okehampton, the other day, looking for signs of growth - no, its not too early - some of my bulbs have been in leaf since before Xmas, mainly grape hyacinths and species tulips. This happens most years, not sure if its just down here in the South West or other people are finding this. They won't flower til they are supposed to in Spring though.

So, back to the park... Hellebores are starting to show (the oriental ones) and I spotted an Exochorda x macrantha in bud!! Not supposed to be flowering until April!


These are beautiful shrubs but unfortunately too big for my garden. Something I didn't know (or have forgotton!) is that this plant is also known as the Pearl Bush because of its pearl like buds. Well, you learn something every day! Heres a pic (not mine) of one in flower.....


Pretty! Will tolerate most gardens except a lot of lime and needs shelter from early Spring frost.

I have also spotted new shoots on my Clematis viticella Polish Spirit. Always eager to get growing, this is definitely my favourite Clematis....


 Will keep an eye out for more new growth, Spring will be here before you know it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment