Thursday 2 May 2013

Rhubarb!

Yum yum! I love Rhubarb, and mine is ready to harvest. I was lucky enough to have one already well established when I bought my house. If you were not, and fancy owning one, you'll be better to wait til the Autumn.

Its a tough plant that will grow in most soils and likes the sun on its face. If we get a long dry Summer (a rather big 'if'), they will need a good drink. Add a thick mulch of organic matter in the Spring to retain moisture, but dont bury the crown. Don't forget to remove the leaves as they are poisonous and always pull, rather than cut the stems.

There are a number of varieties available, the most popular include Timperley Early which can be harvested from March to May and Victoria with thick stems, a heavy cropper.

I love Rubarb crumble, where I use brown sugar and a big handful of oats in to make a more tasty topping. Check out my recipes - which I hope to keep adding to!

No comments:

Post a Comment