Thursday 25 April 2013

A successful plant buying trip yesterday. I somehow managed to buy more than expected (again!). One purchase for myself - Sorbaria sorbifolia 'Sem' also known as False Spiraea. A beauty! Not a plant I have grown before but I couldn't resist its gorgeous feathery leaves, yellow with pink tips in Spring, becoming green then turning red in the Autumn. The added bonus of plumes of white flowers from June to September makes this a real gem. Its a deciduous shrub of around 1m high by 1m spread, though please be aware this is a suckering plant, keep it in check by removing outer shoots if in a confined space. Suitable for most soils, though dislikes chalk and not too dry. Theres suggestion that strong winds may scorch the leaves so give it a little shelter. Could also be grown in a large container. The only problem I have is where to find a space!


2 comments:

  1. Thought I'd write on your blog so you'd feel like someone was reading it.
    Im enjoying it even if no one else is !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thank you very much!Ive gone global :) theres bound to be a couple of people who might enjoy my musings

    ReplyDelete