Friday 17 January 2014

Is it Spring yet?

Its a beautiful day today, the grey clouds of this morning have blown away leaving us with blue sky. We have yet to see the cold winter weather which seems to have confused a number of plants. A clematis in my garden has new growth and have seem daffodils and crocus in flower, All a bit topsy turvy really! It seems to be that winter comes a bit later and am finding February and March can be incredibly cold - though I doubt anything near what the US have had in recent weeks. Those freezing temperatures  - caused by the polar vortex (check out wikipedia for more info!) - have had effect on us here in Blighty, causing storms and very strong winds, a number of areas suffered flooding, some parts still under water. There has been some local flooding too, luckily we have not been affected. I wonder what the next 2 months will bring?

I am now starting to plan the veggie garden, deciding what to grow. My beetroot did really well last year so will have another go. I grew 'Bolthardy', a reliable variety. Tempted to try some yellow varietes as well. For the first time last year I grew pea beans, havent come across them before, but the seeds looked so pretty I couldnt resist. A versatile crop, use the pods when young, or leave until the beans inside are swollen and use them fresh or dry them for later on. We did this and they are a lovely textured and flavoursome bean.

Pea Bean Pods



Dried Pea Beans

Not sure what else I will grow, though will include squash, spuds and salad crops. Hmm think its time to dig out the seed catalogue. Best put the kettle on then!

3 comments:

  1. The pea beans sound interesting - great value to be able to use fresh or as dried beans (they look good too). We've often wasted runner beans when they've grown too big and tough, or not frozen well (maybe not doing them properly!) so might give the pea beans a try this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Runner beans are just too quick to turn and there is always too many. I find they dont freeze too well, tried blanching too but not that impressed, maybe I just dont like runners much!! Yes, give these pea beans a go, I will prob have some spares so will give you some.

    ReplyDelete