Friday 27 September 2013

Winter Squash Time


There are two types of squash, the Summer and the Winter.  Summer squash include courgettes, Patty Pan, and Yellow Crookneck, but its the Winter vareties I'm talking about.

I love winter squash, though not been too lucky with them this year, poor crop. We used to have an allotment years ago and grew lots of varieties one year. We cured them for a week or so and they kept us fed til the following April!
 
Uchiki Kuri
There are many varietes to chose from, Butternuts, Acorns, Pumpkins, I could list them but it would make for dull reading! If you want to know the difference between Squash and Pumpkins heres a short description http://voices.yahoo.com/the-difference-between-pumpkins-gourds-squash-6691116.html?cat=22

Squash have trailing and bushy habits, depending on variety, so make sure you chose carefully, especially if you have limited space to grow. I start mine off in pots in the greenhouse and plant out once frosts have gone. Give them a soil rich in manure in a sunny spot for best results. Once ready pick them and leave outside to cure for 10 days or so before storing (keep an eye out for frosts and protect if necessary)

I tend to get my seeds from Tuckers, I happen to live near one of their stores but you can buy online. They have a great choice of all kinds of veg. Take a look http://www.tuckers-seeds.com/

They are fairly easy to grow, great for kids as the seeds are large so easy to handle and once they get going, they don't half move fast! Get them growing Sweet Lightening, a tiny fruit measuring 11-13cm, perfect for little hands to harvest and eat.

Soup is a favourite way of cooking squash, I like to add toasted cumin seeds before blitzing, it gives a lovely spicy flavour. I also like to roast pieces in the oven along with beetroot. Add some cooked green lentils and some feta cheese, yum! Theres so many recipes out there, sweet as well as savoury, what a versatile vegetable. Will try and put some on my recipe page...when I get around to it!






No comments:

Post a Comment